Saturday, August 6, 2011

...two months later...

Well, I'm back from San Francisco!  Where to begin, where to begin... I'M ENGAGED!!!!

Back up.  Let me tell you about my BASOTI experience before I start gushing about my wonderful fiance and how it all happened and how happy I am. :-)  This blog entry first; that blot entry second.

From June 25-July 25, I was in San Francisco, CA participating in the Bay Area Summer Opera Theater Institute, which is basically an opera training program for young/emerging-professional singers.  It was a FANTASTIC experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!  I sang Susanna in 2 Marriage of Figaro scenes, Zerlina in 1 Don Giovanni scene, and the role of Nora in the full production of Riders to the Sea.  When I was preparing for the Riders role, I was REALLY challenged - it is a very difficult piece of music!  But after putting it together with the other singers and developing the character with the director, I fell in love with the piece.  I feel like I've really accomplished something, and I'm so proud of myself as well as the other cast members - we did it!

Our days at BASOTI typically went like this:
  1. Wake Up
  2. Check email
  3. Read 5,000 emails about schedule changes
  4. Take a deep breath, relax, and get going
  5. Morning classes/seminars (Acting, Audition Prep, Alexander Technique, Italian/French Diction, Engaging the Public, The Business of Singing...)
  6. Lunch Break
  7. Afternoon Rehearsals and/or Voice Lessons
  8. Dinner Break
  9. Evening Rehearsals/Masterclasses/Performances
  10. Lather, rinse, repeat...
I met some fantastic singers, made some great friends, and learned from excellent conductors, directors and coaches.  I was also able to get some experience and critiques by doing two aria performances.

Ms. Wise (my wonderful, amazing voice teacher) was there for the first week of the program.  I had 2 lessons with her in that first week, and I am SO grateful!  I've started working on a little bit of new repertoire and am loving how my voice is growing and becoming its own.  I'm anxious to get started back again in the fall (omg. in 2 weeks.) with consistent lessons.

Although we were incredibly busy the whole time, I was able to sneak in a few "tourist" activities every once in a while.  I will share some pictures now of my performances and sight-seeing adventures.

Susanna and Figaro, Act 1, No. 1-3
2 Zerlinas from Don Giovanni
Marcelina and Susanna, Act 1, No. 5



We walked across the Golden Gate Bridge! Twice!

Fisherman's Wharf at Ghirardelli Square for the 4th of July

Union Square

Muir Woods to see the redwoods on my birthday!


Katie (my roommate) and me at Muir Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what are your thoughts?