Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ah, the Port-a-Potty...

Jason and I were at the Evansville Freedom Festival last Saturday (AKA the Evansville White Trash Festival). We had just come straight into town from Bloomington, parked at my church and walked to the riverfront. Unfortunately, a 32 oz. bottle of water and basically a keg of Gatorade had left us with oh-so-full bladders. In the million degree weather with 110% humidity, we were left only to use the sweaty, smelly, heat-locker of a Port-a-Potty.

Bummer.

But this reminded me of something wonderful. On my first trip to Pass Christian, Mississippi to do Hurricane Katrina relief in 2006 (I think) we had outdoor shower stalls and port-a-potties (I assume that's the plural... lol) and an outdoor work sink as our "facilities" for the week. Not bad, considering our surroundings of debris and rubbish. It was incredibly humid and mosquito-y, so the breeze that came in the stalls during the showers felt very nice! The point of this story?

I love the smell of port-a-potty.

I do. I can't help it.

During that week, I had a little party in my heart when the port-a-potty truck would come and empty the "doody" and refill each toilet with that blue/green stuff. I'll tell you what. That blue/green stuff smells good! It smells fresh! Almost like the smell of car wax!

Every time I would hear that truck come driving up to our site, I would get really excited and want to be the first one to use the freshly cleaned port-a-potty. That was a real treat! :-/

So, even through the horrindous smell that billows out of the unknown below the seat of a port-a-potty, I can always smell that glimmer of hope...

And it makes me smile.

:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what are your thoughts?